Monday, January 22, 2007

Another detour!

Well, as I was mulling over how much larger wx had gotten since I last downloaded it (and once I realized the smallest of apps, compiled, becomes 5MB), I got to thinking.

That's always a mistake.

In this case, I thought: gee, it's nice that the UI of these programs is defined in the XML. What if I defined the command-line argument handlers, too? And loaded the external data file based on that description?

What if ...

Then the epiphany struck. What if each of the commands in the CLI were to be defined in the XML? As Python, no wait, as templates to generate Python? So I researched it and bent my fevered brow to the task. And lo! it works.... Really.

If I define "filetagger.wftk" as a UI file, with an "action" tag for each command in the CLI, wxpywf can now read those, build the CLI class, and pass it back to pypop for instantiation in the main context. It can't import Python files, but it could without a whole lot of work. And will.

Now I can introduce a real Software Jedi toolkit: pypop. As soon as it's cleaned up, anyway. If pypop stores apps by name, you could download them with a pypop app manager, install them, and let'em go. If the pypop then subsumes both the Jedi console and a directory monitor and stuff like that -- well, you'll have a handy-dandy Swiss army knife of a UI tool. I kinda like this.

Anyway, I'll clean this up and get it posted tomorrow or the next day. And then continue with App #3.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home