Friday, January 26, 2007

App #3 slight redefinition

Oh, hey -- it occurred to me after posting the last post that if I modify the requirements just a tad for app #3 I can still do what Cabin Tom really wants to do. Granted, it looks like it's just too durn much trouble to move icons on the Desktop, but I can easily monitor the Desktop and move all newly created files there into an incoming-download folder of arbitrary definition.

So mote it be. App #3 is now slighly adulterated, but at least possible.

(But if you know how to script icon-moving-around on the Windows Desktop, I still want to hear from you.)

4 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're saying all the downloaded files would go directly to a folder on my desktop? That works.
Oh, and thanks for going through all this trouble, it seems very very very complicated.

Cabin Tom

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Explorer Desktop is a ListView. As such, you can set icon positions using the LVM_SETITEMPOSITION (or it's 32 bit equiv) message. The LVM_GETITEMPOSITION, naturally, retrieves the current positioning.

Getting a handle to the ListView, and passing a pointer to LVM_GETITEMPOSITION that's valid in Explorer's process space is left as an exercise for the reader/Googler.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Michael said...

THANK you. That makes plenty of sense in retrospect but it sure isn't trivial to figure it out from scratch.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Oh, and Tom -- it's no trouble; thanks for coming up with an idea that's sufficiently juicy to be interesting but not so juicy as to drown me in detail. That size project is hard to think up.

If I did .NET programming on a daily basis -- in fact, if I did any GUI work on a daily basis -- this would be nearly trivial. But instead I'm using it as a jumping-off point for half a dozen wild schemes, and so in the end it all turns into a monstrosity of complexity.

But when it's all said and done, the final expression of this app will be compact and elegant. See my latest post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home